World, life is just a series of pluses and minuses, don’t you think? We try to stay in the black, not the red. We (well, Americans and Czechs at least) try to lose weight, not gain. We try to make friends, not enemies. Taking stock of successes and failures, great or small, keeps me on the right track between realistic and delusional. In hopes of inspiring my millions of readers to reward the good and learn from the bad, here is my weekly tally:
- Productivity at work! From scheduling CEO interviews, to sending thank yous to those who helped plan our first national conference, to compiling tons of notes, to getting staff organized for our upcoming board meeting, I got stuff D – U – N done.
- I connected with my friend Lauren! A busy dramaturgy grad student at Yale, Lauren is a great college friend who I don’t talk with much because our schedules rarely overlap. Chatting with Lauren always motivates me to refocus on taking my theatre company to the next level, whether through smart collaborations or business development.
- I bought a corkscrew! Let the red wine flow freely.
- I made my annual dentist appointment. I know ideally you’re supposed to go twice a year, but I hate the dentist so damn much that once is all I can muster.
- I went bike riding for the first time in over five years! While I don’t feel comfortable riding in the city, Bob and I went biking on the Ocean City boardwalk and no one fell over! I’m excited for many non-urban bike rides to come.
- I’ve been trying to work out five times a week since I’m headed to the beach in less than two months. I missed my mark by a couple days; girl GET it next week! For a 20-minute work out that will leave you panting, youtube ‘Denise Austin’ and voila! Denise is frighteningly energetic, and her choreographed aerobics are easy enough to follow even for an albatross like myself.
- I didn’t floss. At all.
- I went on an unexpected shopping spree. Though I did need a blazer for work, I did not need the four blouses. And the handbag. Freeze the account! Ramen and beans.
- I didn’t play any piano. I’m lucky enough to have a lovely in-tune upright in my apartment, and I should take advantage of it daily! Here’s to tickling the keys more this week.
- I haven’t read anything intelligent all week. A book, an article, etc. This is bad.
What are your wins and woes of the week? We’re all in this up down arithmetic together!